Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Tsunami Here

Wed Sept 30

My e-mail home page lists some headlines from the USA Today. Opening up the home page during lunch today, I saw a headline about a tsunami hitting American Somoa.
For those of you who heard of this and are checking my blog to see if we are ok, thank you for your concern. We are fine.

American Somoa is somewhere south of us in this vast Pacific region. I'm not sure how far south it is, but nothing here is close. My guess is that it is at least 2,000 miles away and probably more. We don't have internet access here so I'm not inclined to check the exact distance.

Should a tsunami hit Pohnpei, Wenonoa and I would most likely be ok. Pohnpei is a very hilly island and our house, my office, and the college where Wenonoa teaches, are situated on hills away from the coast. That said, Tuesday night we were in a building that is right on the waterfront but most of the time we are not too close to the water.

On a weather-related note, Monday night the winds were howling as we tried to sleep and Tuesday morning it rained heavily at the house. I learned that a typhoon hit the Phillipines and that our wind/rain were caused by that storm.

PS - If my references to the days of the week seem to be a day off, it is because Pohnpei sits on the other side of the international date line.

No comments:

Post a Comment