Sunday, March 15, 2009

I invite you to invite me...


Friday March 13, 2009


Sokeh's Rock (left/center view from the Balcony bar)

This week at work I was explaining my success in meeting some ex-pats. Mike, a co-worker, from the island remarked that I should also try and meet some Micronesians and not just spend my time with ex-pats.

“Mike,” I replied, “I tend to agree with you but from what I’ve read Micronesians tend to socialize within their families and clans and it is hard to breakthrough that barrier.”

The next day I cornered him between cubicles and let him know that I had thought more about what he had said and that it would be a shame if I missed out on the cultural experience of interacting with Micronesians, gaining an appreciation of their lifestyle, etc.

“Mike,” I informed him, “I’m putting you in charge of the project. You are now responsible for making sure I have a full social life. 90% of your performance evaluation will be based on it.”

Mike reports directly to me, so I could do this.

At the office staff meeting on Friday morning, I stood up and reiterated my conversation with Mike to the staff and concluded it by saying, “therefore, I invite you to invite me to your family feasts, to go with you on fishing trips, and on other social outings.”

My boss Haser, to his credit, stepped up and invited me to join his fishing trip planned for the next afternoon.

As Friday afternoon came to a close, we headed off for happy hour. The destination was typical in that it was located in a building I had driven past but that I had never noticed. Situated in an industrial looking complex down a long driveway from the main road, The Balcony had only a small sign (not visible from the road) to alert one of its presence. Of course, here everybody knows where everything is so signage is only an issue for newcomers like me.

The Balcony, though simply named, was also accurately named. We went up an outdoor staircase at the side of the building and I found myself on a covered balcony looking out at the water. Three small islands lay a ways out in the water, the view on the left was of lush jungle foliage, and Sokeh’s Rock (a familiar landmark) jetted out on the left side. Wow, I must say it was spectacular.

Late afternoon is a wonderful time on the island. The trade wind blows a gentle breeze and the clouds dance across the sky. Sashimi accompanied the beer and I enjoyed getting to know my co-workers. Twilight turned to evening and happy hour turned into happy hours. I went home not drunk, but with more beer sitting in my stomach then it’s had in a long time.

Two full work weeks have passed. I'm still in the honeymoon period but as of right now, I am feeling comfortable here, I am excited about what a great staff I have, and I'm enjoying the yams.

I went to sleep happy and looking forward to tomorrow’s fishing trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment