Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mahi Mahi


Friday March 27, 2009

Today we had a real treat for lunch. I thought yesterday’s lunch was a real treat because the college was serving mashed potatoes and rice for side dishes instead of just rice like they normally do but that doesn’t even compare…

Today the office shared a mahi-mahi that Hacer caught last Saturday. He brought it in frozen and whole yesterday and Jimbo brought it home to fillet. Today, Jimbo returned with some wonderful looking steaks along with butter, limes, sea salt, and Pohnpein pepper. He cooked it up in the office kitchen on a little George Forman grill.

Hacer had also brought in some lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and celery (the boat arrived earlier this week so produce was in stock) which Aisi made into a salad. Some rice was cooked and we had ourselves a tasty tasty lunch.

The pohnpein pepper is worthy of its reputation. My guide book had said, “Pohnpei’s black pepper is thought by many to be the tastiest in the world.” I can understand why. I am by no means a connoisseur of fine foods but even I find myself writing, "the flavor of that pepper danced delicately and playfully across my tongue for the remainder of the afternoon."

No comments:

Post a Comment